Instructions for Installing an MGB Carpet
- 1). Remove the convertible frame and top. This is held on with a series of bolts that run around the rear of the interior behind the seats at the base of the top and with bolts that hold the hinges for the folding mechanism in place. Remove the bolts with a socket and ratchet.
- 2). Remove the front seats. Slide the seat all the way forward to access the rear bolts and rearward to access the front bolts. Disconnect any seat belt warning wires if your car has them.
- 3). Remove the bolts that hold the seat belts on. Remove the seats belts, noting which bolts go where for later reinstallation. Unscrew the shift knob. Remove the Phillips screws that hold the center console and radio console in place. Pull the radio console back and disconnect the wires, and label them for later refitment.
- 4). Remove the door sill trim, front side footwell panels and rear side interior panels, which are held on with Phillips screws. Remove the old carpet. With the exception of the carpeting on the sills and the rear wheel arches, the carpeting is held in with small clips.
- 5). Install new sound deadening if preferred. This step is not necessary and will add time to the installation, but it may make your MGB more rattle free. Pull up the old sound deadening. Scrape the floors with a chisel to remove the old adhesive. Use spray adhesive to install the new sound deadening. Cut the sound deadening pieces to fit with scissors and then glue them in.
- 6). Install the new carpeting on the side sills with the narrow end toward the front of the car. Spray adhesive on the sills and on the back of the carpet. Allow it to sit for a few minutes and then lay it in place. Pull and stretch the carpet until it is correctly installed. Install the carpet on both sides.
- 7). Install the carpet that covers the ramp in the rear area of the car. Spray adhesive on the ramp and on the back of the carpet. Lay it down so the top of the carpet piece is even with the top of the ramp.
- 8). Install the front toe board next. Reuse the old screws that held in the original carpeting to install the new pieces. Install the rear wheel arch covers by first removing the rear cockpit panel. This may need to be drilled out with a power drill and then riveted back in after the carpeting is installed. Glue the wheel arch covers into place. Reinstall the cockpit panel and the interior side panels.
- 9). Install the tunnel carpet. Measure the distance from the rear ramp to the gear lever. Mark this distance on the carpet and make a small hole for the gear lever. Make sure you make the right measurements. You can double check this by laying the carpet over the tunnel. Lay the carpet in place and adjust the Velcro strip that holds it in place as needed.
Install the carpet for the floor boards. These are held in place with the seats. If your kit comes with new floor studs, rivet these in place and install the clip that holds the carpeting down. Reinstall the seats, the seat belts and finally the convertible top and frame.